Thursday, July 02, 2015

Poor Flickr!


The "Five elements" building , Statoil, Fornebu
Statoil building, Fornebu, Oslo

Flickr just rolled out most of the extensive changes it has been preparing for months.
Some are happy about them but of course there are huge numbers of people who dislike them. Except that the word is too mild for most of them to use, it is usually: "I hate it!""Remove it immediately!" "Go back to the old one." I understand that people have different opinions and tastes but do some really expect that after so much work ( and I really think most new things are good) Flickr would just abandon all because some of probably 8 million members demand it. Immediately!?

One new thing is the Camera Roll. I think it should have some other name as it has already been the name of an extension in iPhone, I think.

The Camera Roll can only be seen by the owner of the account, You need not use it if you  'hate' it. One problem is that it has been put in 'You', a  drop-down menu. I usually hover over it and just click on whatever I want, but some have to click on it and then they get the Roll, which is in the first position. The  first used to be  photostream, which most people want.

The Camera Roll has all your photos as thumbnails, in the order they were taken. That way it is easy to delete duplicates, which you easily get if you have many photos.

Here are some dissatisfied customers, The first one had not noticed that he should himself have disabled it in the beginning. It is a bulk upload that many people had asked for, but it uploads everything on your phone. He can control it with no problems.

"I discovered that Flickr was automatically uploading photos from my iPhone to the Flickr Camera Roll. I have disabled uploading to Flickr on my iPhone and deleted the photos that were uploaded yesterday (most of them were duplicates of photos that i'd already posted to Flickr and put in Albums).
I use my Flilckr page to show photographs that I want to show, not as a dumping ground or backup for every photo that I take"


The next one has a way with words, though there's some  tautology.

"Perhaps you should check if anyone wanted this rubbish im looking for somewhere else I can put my photos Flickr is total rubbish" 

I'm happy someone is thankful.

"I like the new Flickr! It was amazing that I found today my photos also in views (collections) of e.g. buildings, flowers, weddings, winter, frost, sceneries, trees and birds. I also know that you are working hard there to meet all the needs every critic is giving you. Well, that´s good since people think differently. 
Keep going! 


This was the worst story I saw, just shows you must know what you are doing and be careful.


Camera Roll confused me and I ended up deleting most of my photos. Dunno what to do. I'm thinking of quitting altogether. I thought this was something my phone autouploaded through the Flickr app.(Please disable this!!! It's like stealing people's phone photos. This is horribly invasive and disappointing. Reminds me of Facebook privacy stuff in the past which hurt their reputation.) I never saw it before so I thought it would be safe to delete it. Boy was I wrong! Deleted all my photos. No thanks for the freakin layout change. I'm so pissed off right now.
 Who made these stupid freaking decisions??? And like most websites, this should have been a tester not a forced roll out. Did I not see the option to not go beta? I am kicking myself and crying in pain for doing so.



That was really bad and I feel for him. But of course it had been tested, but just in a smaller group.








No comments: