Friday, June 24, 2016

Helsinki Day



Today was Helsinki Day. I have never experienced it. Outside the Railway Station the bonaqua was giving out a new drink, there were  two, mine had orange and mango. There was a long queue when I passed them the first time.   I have seen advertisements of it before, they use the word "heavenly". It's one with just a bit of  taste, not full, so this sounds an exaggeration.



There were also young Korean men showing us taekwando, they give a course to young  people.



I went to  Espa lava (bandstand  at the Esplanade) which had bands performing the whole day. When I was there it was Pelle Miljoona, a  huge lot of people watching, I took a couple of photos, not very good as the camera does not take good photos if zoomed much.




There was also an old tram, the ticket cost 5 euro. One thing I did not know of and missed even to see, was that there were tables in the middle of the Esplanade where people were eating a meal. I wonder how one was able to reserve a seat.





It was also possible to go to see the office of the Mayor and to stand on the balcony of the Town Hall. There was a queue, but we got in fairly quickly. In the room in  front of the balcony were standing the mayor Jussi Pajunen and his wife to greet people. I chatted a bit with his wife. So nice of them! The balcony was framed by beautiful flowers, I took several photos and a  sweep panorama.   There were also some art work by Eija Hiltunen and glass by Timo Sarpaneva and a wonderful large painting of Helsinki.          




No comments: