Saturday, June 11, 2016

Isak Pietilä

Today I visited Malmi cemetery where a relative of mine had his grave and possibly an old friend of my mother and me. I took the train as it is so quick Isak but then I could not find the buss to take me further. I notice there was a building housing official offices and the friendly young guy who was the information officer found me the right buss from the internet.

I had not been to the cemetery since the beginning of the seventies and the trees and bushes were so very big. I had to walk to the other side of the cemetery to find the office. There I only needed to give the name of the grave and they found it for me. The grave of the friend had changed occupants, his sister had also died long ago. The grave of Isak Pietilä, who had married a sister of my maternal grandfather, was still there. I looked first in a wrong part of the section it was in and was so relieved when I found it. I also wanted to find out their birth and deceased dates for my "My Heritage" Family tree. The stone was clean but had started to be just a little lopsided. The grave was really beautiful, covered by long grass which also had profusion of pretty yellow flowers. I took several photos. Nearby I found a strange grave. The gravestone was almost as tall as me and it was completely covered by a beautiful white rosebush. I tried to take a photo to see the name but could not get the stone clear and it was also too dark.
  
Hietaniemi cemetery is quite old and it has lot of statues, many of which I have photographed. The cemeterys in Oslo have hardly any, so I had thought  Norwegian ones  were different. But now I could only see one statue in Malmi, it was covered by lots of  moss, a bit of yellow (?) moss on top of the nose. That looked cute.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

No comments: