Monday, May 27, 2013

Running away from the new Flickr?

15:16:28 Feet off ground by ausfi
15:16:28 Feet off ground, a photo by ausfi on Flickr.
The thread on the new Flickr has grown to 281 pages and over 28,000 replies, most of them still negative. Of course there are some from the same people, but not so many. Flickr staff want everything to go to the feedback thread and has closed many help threads to refer them to the feedback, but new ones are cropping up:

vote on the new flickr ask every member do they like it yes or no
• So this is supposed to be an upgrade?
• An Easy Solution to New Flickr Format!

Some contributions that talk about important matters:

subarcticmike says:

"May I refer to ONE sentence lifted from the flickr blog promo.

"So, we’re also revealing a beautiful new design that puts photos at the heart of your Flickr experience, where they should always be."

Photos have NEVER been the heart of my Flickr experience nor the majority of my contacts, I dare say. I weave title, caption, links and more around my mundane images. And I like being able to see my photostream and all parts thereof from one end to the other via numbered pages.

For me, THE sentence sums up management's bold new take. My take is that I have been enabled for nigh on six years by a once sensible, mostly interconnected website with me putting time and devotion into my very own photo-documentary, which showcased my interests and explored connectedness with others of like mind. And at the comfort and speed I obviously liked.

I cannot drive this new unilateral model as is. No rants, no threats, no vitriol coming at the collective from me. I'm just-awaiting-and-seeing."


ososment says:

ososment says:

"been here since 2005 and seen plenty changes, not sure what I think of the tablet friendly approach... it'll take some getting used to. 

though the old format looked very dated it did have the appeal of looking a little like a gallery, where the photos had room to breath.

this design is I think a little too unoriginal. I understand the need to compete and I also recognise the design is contemporary to other apps and sites.

But I think the team have misunderstood the nature of Flickr, in the same way the team misunderstood the way to manage the community when Yahoo first took over.

I'm sure this design will. in the long run, appeal to new users and of course that is exactly what any business needs. Having said that Yahoo, it's worth remembering that the core base feel like Flickr is theirs, not yours.

We are the community. And Flickr could be a major player in not only photography but social networking areas because of that sense of ownership."

I do not know the speed of my internet but I have no problem of loading, but there a so many with slow connections who find it difficult or impossible to load their pages.

Matt(ikus) says:

"It's so slow the new site. Granted my internet is pretty slow. But the previous iteration was perfectly usable, now with all this huge images clustered about the page I have to sit watching nothing for a time before I can even see one persons image. It's frankly unusable now. It's sad because I have been using the site since 2007 and I have been a pro user for the most part. In the last year I let my subscription run out and didn't renew because the site seems to be less active and Yahoo you just haven't innovated. In fact you haven't innovated ever. You caught the rush first and have been riding your fortunes ever since. There are a list of simple improvements you could make in order to bolster the functionality of the website. Improvements that you have ignored for the last 6 years, which is frankly astounding. I don't know what team you have working on the site, or who directs them, but it's stoneage stuff. So disappointed. "

Often when there have been changes, people have threatened to leave, and a few years later they are still here, but many are really leaving to other sites. 
I have actually joined Ipernity, but I am not going to send all my photos there, I am still trying to work here because of my groups, which I cannot send to Ipernity. The site even developed an implement which moves all of a person's photos to the site.

ucumari says:
"IPERNITY!
Very cool site, I'm just learning it but very happy to be there. Will probably be leaving this one very soon I am sorry to say.
But when no one cares it does make it easier"


I care but what can I do!

No comments: